The Chihuahua state highway from Creel is a well maintained paved road that winds through beautiful Ponderosa and pine trees. It had snowed yesterday but today was all blue sky. The nice asphalt was already dry from the melting snow and as I accelerated, I realized that this road was made to be ridden in motorcycles.

As I leaned my bike to the right on another twisty curve I could hear the knobby tires of my DR650 dual sport bike squeak a bit in protest as the rubber met the pavement. I was careful not to lean too much, it was too early to chance an accident on our journey to the bottom of Copper Canyon on our journey to reach Batopilas in our two motorcycles.

I was following Everest who was keeping a good speed, I looked down at my speedometer and saw that I was just below 50 mph pulling out of the wide curve. I had to remind myself not to push myself too hard, after all, we were here to relax and do three full days of riding the Tarahumara back country on our motorcycles.

Tomorrow was Christmas day and I was glad to be away from all the commercialize propaganda of a holiday that no longer seem to mean much. I took a deep breath, taking in as much fresh air as possible and was glad to be here, riding my bike in Mexico, highway 25.

I saw a blue a sign to the right announcing our approach to Casarare, a small Indian town on the side of the road. I could see that we were approaching another curve and down shifted to a lower gear in preparation to enter the curve at a decent pace.

Everest is a much better rider than I and he tends to pull away from me on the curves, so I have to accelerate to catch up on the straight a ways. I saw Everest disappear on the turn and so I leaned my bike to the right to start my turn on the curve trying to maintain the same speed as possible.

When I came out the curve I could see Everest had pulled away a bit and I immediately started to accelerate to ensure I kept a good close gap between us. As I started to gain distance and get closer to him, I notice that another curve was coming up fast, but this time it was a left turn. I still had some time to accelerate a bit more and gain a little more distant toward Everest before I had to slow down for the other curve.

As Everest was approaching the curve I noticed he had moved to the center of the lane because there was person in a yellow jacket riding a bicycle on the right side real close to the edge of the steel rail.

Everest was approaching the curve with his bike on the center of the yellow line moving closer to the person on the bike. I could tell he was getting ready to make his turn on the curve as he leaned a bit.

As he accelerated in anticipation of the curve he came to the side of the person of the bike. Suddenly the person on the bike made a quick left turn toward the middle of the road and right in front of the path of Everest.

Everest hit him straight on without even having time to react making a loud crashing sound. I really don’t think Everest even saw him cut across him as he t-boned the bike rider straight on.

I saw the bicycle rider get launched about 150 feet as he got the direct blunt of the front of the motorcycle at full speed. I also noticed that Everest had went down on the right side but the momentum sent him over the bike to the front sliding about 100 feet ahead of the motorcycle.

“Dammit! Dammit! Dammit!”

I immediately looked for a safe place to park my bike and run to help. It seem like in slow motion as every movement was fluid as I stopped my bike, placed the kick stand down, turned the key off, dismounted my bike and took off my helmet placing it on the ground.

The motorcycle was on the right side, still in the middle of the street and Everest was on the ground on his side facing away from me. He was the first person I was able to reach and noticed he still had his helmet on but his face shield was gone.

I called to him but got no response. He was not moving at all. I got real close to him, calling out his name about four times but still got no response. I opened his eye lid and noticed that his eye was also not responsive. I immediately started to feel for a pulse on his right wrist but I was not certain if there was one. My own heart was racing fast and I was still breathing hard as I had ran to get to the scene. My own excitement was not helping me find a pulse. I am trained as a "first responder" and I knew I had to calm down if I was going to be any good here. It's never easy when it involves someone you know. Finally as I calmed down I detected a pulse.

I ran toward the other person and notice he was a small Indian boy about ten years old. His whole body was shaking in spasms and his eyes were wide open fixed up to the top of his head. His mouth was open and he looked like he was going in shock.

He had blood streaming down his face and knew he had some sort of head trauma. Both the little boy and Everest were in the middle the highway and I knew I had to do something.

I looked behind me to see if there was any traffic coming but there was only the empty highway and another blue sign announcing the approach to Casarare.

Continued, , , ,

Leave a Reply

Search This Blog